Kitchen of Grief

Whoever invented salads that are canned fish with mayonnaise and things preserved in acid

(Crunch pepper omega heal my swiss cheese brain)

Has my carbon dioxide and pleasure on their tongue

Fictional child says your breath smells

Did it happen was it a joke - ghost of student past

Canned fish had to be invented too, who preserved and met a need

And mayo my my my

Eggs emulsified careful

We googled the history of yogurt and marveled at 

Past invention and mistake mystery

Milk and bacteria

Collide for serendipity

And the creamy gut bloom

Accent to any one is born

Breakfast and cucumber dill


Writing recipes for my grandpa who hasn’t cooked since my grandma died

I didn’t realize what the pull was

Of course it is a yank that starts in the throat knot 

Then eludes me because death is the big yank ending


A block of cheese is only really a few quesadillas

We grieve the greens that we let go bad in the fridge

Even though we tried !

2 comments:

  1. mistake mystery ! and a block of cheese is only really a few quesadillas <3 poem of eternal kitchen truths

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we tried! love what you tied together here, thinking about the every day and the inevitable <3

    ReplyDelete