confession

hey i just want to tell you

i use they/them pronouns now

because remember how mom 

used to say i'd be prettier

if i wore makeup

and how dad always encouraged

me to be tougher, how he

praised me for my masculinity

i mean tomboyishness

i mean i never wanted to 

push my boobs up and create

the illusion of cleavage

i just wanted to feel comfortable

in my own skin, i wanted 

to look cool but not in my 

spandex, strong bend in the 

knee to pop out my ass, i 

wanted to be like Bender from

The Breakfast Club and also 

Ally the basket-case and every

other queer coded character

whose parents disliked them

you know what I mean?

anyways I just wanted to tell you

I don't care what you call me

I just don't want to pretend my

gender anymore, I want to 

actually be a human 

unsubscribed to a particular

expression, hairy-legged

and macho and pastels 

and animal crossing

and you never told me how 

to dress or act you always 

let me be myself and so I wanted

to tell you I'm just a person

a human being and I think

maybe I always have been

2 comments: