The Raspberry Jam 1/10/23

I am, finally, just like my mother.

Coffee carries water and I don't eat

until noon. We wear our bangs the

same, thinned and fanned out like

a brown parasol. Just an egg, please.

Toast, sure. The raspberry jam. The

sunny spot, I click red nails to key-

board, I care enough but very little. 

I flick the curl from my eye, I wear

glasses. When I think about death,

I don't fear my own. It's others; I don't

want to miss you. I want to be a family

with long summers and warm mornings

the house plants growing, the evenings

full of hot winds. When I think of

my life, I think of my mother, would

she smile knowing how much and 

how little I care? How changed I am,

and yet, the same, the same, as every 

iteration of us, every evolution surely,

graciously became. Mama says we 

all have the same eyes, she says sisters

are like leaves on a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment