Sovereign territory

We're born into this world alone, they say

They who have never seen birth

Noticed the way new fingers curl so fittingly

I mean we're actually connected when we're born

They have to cut us apart 

I imagine they're wrong about dying too

Who among us dies alone

There is always someone who has to do the paperwork

And some chair or stoop or stump that catches us

And lets our bodies sink back in the ocean 

However long it takes to break down cell walls

For the moment, this body is the smallest place where I can live 

My tiny country boasting its adorable traditional dress

Delicious dishes and particular way of saying cheers

I'm here as envoy from the embassy posting this petition to my skin

Let's rescind our borders 

Move away from boundaries as means of protection

Security as self care

Tell me, who here has the administrative infrastructure

To issue passports and carry out bio surveillance?

I'm through with the tyranny of sovereignty 

I want a world in which without invitation

You all can cross into my territory

Let your kindness carry you to witness all this beauty

Which was never really all mine at all

4 comments:

  1. "Adorable traditional dress..." - lovely poem. Now thinking about culture and bureaucracy as an intensely personal experience and culture winning out over bureaucracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this body is the smallest place where i can live - beautiful :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make it up! It's feminist geographic theory!

      Delete
  3. they have to cut us apart <3

    ReplyDelete