Bournemouth 5

Watching Grey Gardens and my mum joking,
that'll be me soon.
I sat with her once, in a darkened room
where at least the drips and patients in series were
some sign of hope in the face of it all.
Got to keep trying eh.

Ben shaved her hair off and sent me 
a picture and then there was the 
most fantastic wig I've ever seen.
No-one at work knew. 
And Ben said you might have to come back,
that white blood cell count.

I can't tell if he'll ever need me again,
it's as if no-one at home knew or
knows anymore. 
It really was another time, and if it
comes back, it will be a new time,
and all.

My mum lives not so she could do the following
but she did anyway,
she did jump out of a plane,
flip a sled in the arctic circle,
become a grandparent twice,
did a pitch invasion,
speak at a wedding (sitting down),
get her foot pinned (gender reveal accident)
did comfort my godfather,
learn to ride western style,
cry and say she needs the garden,
semi-retire,
abstain from the town centre,
knit things,
craft things.

She's quietly living so much and 
needs nothing, 
from anyone
for it.




2 comments:

  1. "speak at a wedding (sitting down)" + "cry and say she needs the garden" + "abstain from the town centre" = iconic <3

    ReplyDelete